In the last several weeks, growing concern regarding viral illnesses and especially the transmission of 2019 Novel Coronavirus into the United States has sparked conversation and worry. We want Searcy School District families and patrons to know that while our illness rate has not been excessively high, we are still taking precautions and paying very close attention to our student and staff illnesses.
At this time, no reports of Coronavirus have been documented in Arkansas. However, the Arkansas Department of Education has required that all public school districts have a plan in place should an outbreak occur. We assure our families and their students that we have a plan in place if the need were to arise. The Searcy School District grounds and custodial staff have worked day and night to ensure that all areas of our facilities are disinfected, and they are promptly cleaning areas thoroughly where students and staff who are infected with illness have been.
At this time, we are encouraging all families to follow these practices to continue to ensure our students, staff members, and families remain healthy.
· Encourage your family to practice frequent and thorough hand-washing for at least 20 seconds.
· Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
· Avoid touching the eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
· Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
· Children should stay home when sick. If a doctor excuses your child to a certain date of return, your child must stay at home until the verified date. If your child continues to run a fever or have symptoms, he/she must return to the doctor before returning to school.
· Encourage all family members to cover when coughing or sneezing with a tissue, and then throw the tissue in the trash. If you do not have a tissue available, please cough or sneeze into the elbow.
· Make a practice of cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surface using disinfectant sprays and wipes.
· Use disinfectant wipes to clean cell phones, ear buds, etc.
Thank you for your assistance in working to keep our students, staff members, and families healthy during the viral season. Please know we will continue to keep apprised of current information from the Arkansas Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control.